Professional repair after the storm
Spring is a wonderful time of the year. It reminds that life renews and carries on. The birds are singing, the flowers are in bloom, the trees are turning green, and the storms are a-brewing. Yeah, that’s the downside of spring – the storms, and for those of us in ‘Tornado Alley’, that typically means storm damage repair.
Spring is the time that more claims are filed for storm damage to a roof covered by insurance because this storm damage to the roof is a frequent result of last night’s storms. That roof damaged by a storm can be from the hail beating the shingles to high winds blowing the shingles off, or worse, a tree limb, or the whole tree falling on top of the house. The smallest storm damage, roof leaks happen and that is when you need a professional roofing contractor.
What does a storm-damaged roof look like?
We design roofs to endure the elements of climate and weather. However, some storms are more forceful than others and leave behind the need for storm damage repair. If you can inspect your roof safely after a storm, there are some things to look for:
- Possible Wind Damage:
- Forceful winds can blow shingles off, and those missing shingles lead to leaking rooftops and interior damage. Sometimes, wind damage isn’t visible, like when the adhesive seal breaks that usually shed water.
- Hail Damage:
- It is hard not to see hail damage, and if every other house on your block has it, your house probably does too. Hail leaves bruises on asphalt shingle, leaving a crack or an indentation that water can infiltrate
- Falling Debris:
- After a storm, you may find tree branches or other debris that has landed on your roof. This is a judgment call if you think there could be unseen damage.
What do you do after storm damage?
After a severe storm, you may have to deal with water damage, wind damage, calling the insurance company, finding a place to stay, and a host of other storm damage repairs. Besides staying safe, here is a checklist of what you should you after a storm: Listen to the radio for advisories and other instructions.
- Stay inside until you’re told it is safe to go out.
- Do not go near downed power lines.
- Do not stand in water or near metal objects.
- If your home has sustained structural damage, get out and stay out.
- Do not stand near broken or dangling limbs or damaged trees.
- Watch out for snakes and wild animals.
- If you smell gas, turn it off at the main source.
- Do not drive unless utterly necessary.
- If you do drive, avoid road with water over them, watch for damaged bridges.
- Do not use candles or any open flames indoors.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand at all times.
- Test smoke and CO alarms.
- Before flushing a toilet, make sure the sewer system is operational.
- Keep pets inside.
- Never operate a generator inside and stay away from doors and windows.
- Don’t eat perishable food when the temperature has reached 40° F or higher.
What do I do if my roof is blown off?
If the entire roof is gone, evacuate immediately. Next, contact your insurance company and then contact a local, qualified roofing contractor that can provide immediate storm damage repairs to roofs. You must cover all your belongings if you aren’t able to put a temporary cover over the roof.
How long do you have to file a claim for roof damage?
This can vary from policy to policy and even between insurance companies. It is always best to review your policy or check with your agent. When it comes to storm damage repairs, the sooner you get the process of fixing things, the better.
Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies require that any claims for storm damage repairs be filed within 12 months from the date the damage happened.
How do you know when a roof needs replacing?
Some signs you need a new roof aren’t bold and right there, but we have some warning signs to share with you. Keeping an eye for these signs will give you time to plan the budget and time accordingly.
- Cracked, cupped, or curled shingles
- Missing shingles
- Bald spots on shingles
- Age of the roof – at 20 years, if you haven’t had to replace it yet, you need to now
- Dark streaks that aren’t removed with a professional roof washing
- Old and worn looking
Taking care of storm damage repairs as soon as possible is important to maintain the roof structure and your home. The longer you wait, the more damage could take place. With an investment like a home, taking care of the parts that take care of it is essential. For your storm damage repair, call 888-360-8474 today.